Consumers in the United States, and around the world in fact, are using their smartphones more and more. Mobile marketing, or “M-commerce” as it is now coming to be called, is growing in importance.
Did you know these facts about mobile usage?
1. Mobile use is growing at a rate 14 times that of traditional laptop access.
2. 10.3% of all global searches are made from mobile devices.
3. 28.5 % of searches in the U.S. are made from mobile devices.
4. 1 in 4 Americans use only a smartphone to connect to the internet (not a computer).
5. There are 5 times as many cell phones in the world as there are PCs.
6. Nielsen reported an 89% increase in mobile data usage between 2012 and 2011.
7. Research from Prosper Mobile Insights says that 81% of smartphone users have done product research via smartphone and 50% have made a purchase with one.
8. Traffic from smartphones and tablets jumped 155% on 2012’s Black Friday compared with average daily mobile traffic for a group of 26 retailers that are part of the Branding Brand Mobile Commerce Index.
9. 57% of smartphone owners who made a purchase, did so after receiving a marketing email message.
10. By 2014, mobile internet is expected to overtake desktop usage.
Maybe by now you’ve figured out what all this means…The Top Trend in Business for 2013 is Mobile Access.
What does this mean for you? Are you considering mobile marketing in your budget for the coming year? Have you investigated what percentage of traffic your site gets from mobile devices? (Learn how to check Google Analytics for your mobile traffic stats.)